We Will Be CLOSED
Friday, March 13 thru March 16, 2020
considerations of natural care alternatives for coronavirus
Preparation is 80 Percent Solution
There has been an unusually high public focus on a new virus, the novel coronavirus, threatening multiple nations, including the United States. Additionally, there has been as much confusion about this new virus’ contagiousness (especially during its incubation period), virulence, and possible resistance to treatments.
However, if you visit the CDC website they do have easy to follow information about hygiene and medical strategies that are advised to aid in prevention and care of the infection should you suspect you have contracted the virus.
Regardless, there are lifestyle and wellness strategies that can be applied to our everyday lives as well.
The health of the immune system is the most important aspect of protecting yourself from the flu and any potential complications. There are many effective ways to stay well during the flu season. Hygiene, choosing healthy foods, staying hydrated, managing stress, getting adequate exercise and sleep, are some very important things to consider in any flu prevention.
The first point to mention is that panic does not serve to aid the immune system or general health of the body. This type of reaction only contributes to diminishing the immune system’s ability to battle any assault threatening it. Keep a calm demeanor.
The majority of the actions we can take are easy if we simply take the time to do them. They are actions we should take for just good healthful lives, too.
1. Wash your hands; most viruses can be transmitted through physical contact.
2. Eat plenty of vegetables; we should choose 3 vegetables for every fruit we eat.
3. Water is and will always be the elixir of life; drink minimally 3 quarts per day.
4. Find ways to minimize the stress; learn to say “no” if your life is already too busy.
5. Exercise 3-4 times per week; just walking has been documented to help with so many different maladies.
6. Sleep is when the body repairs itself; get a minimum of 5 to a maximum of 9 hours of quality sleep per night.
Vitamin C seems to be the forgotten nutrient of late. With new information coming out about some many other nutrients, Vitamin C, let’s not forget, is the grand daddy of immune enhancing nutrients. Just because we don’t talk about it that much any longer doesn’t mean it has been diminished in its efficacy to help us prevent and fight infections of all types, including viral infections.
Vitamin D, also referred to as the sunshine vitamin, is reported to be deficient in this nutrient in an estimated 80 percent of the North American population. Research and studies have discovered this vitamin to be more than the healthy bone nutrient we thought it to be twenty to twenty-five years ago. It is now known to be very important to the immune system and many other functions. Have your vitamin D status tested. Just having this important vitamin at optimum levels is a huge step in preventing the flu.
Virus Prevention (adults)
1. Good hygiene is paramount; wash your hands after having physical contact with public handles, doors and door knobs, or any other object that may have been frequently handled by the general public.
2. Strictly avoid all dairy; past the age of infancy milk has very little health benefit for us, and is a mucus producing food.
3. Stay hydrated; drink 1 quart of water per 50 lbs of body weight not to go over 3 quarts per day.
4. Get adequate protein; your main meals should consist of 25% protein; good protein choices are: seeds, nuts, sprouts, quinoa, eggs, poultry, beef and pork.
5. Exercise at least 30 minutes, 3 days per week; brisk walking is simple, easy and cheap, and it works.
6. Supplementation for supporting the body particularly the immune system.
a. Bio-C Plus 1000 is a very effective product in the form of Vitamin C with additional minerals for an immune enhancing twist. Daily dosage – 2 with meals 3 times per day.
b. Bio-D-Mulsion Forte is an emulsified liquid form of vitamin D3 (the safe non toxic form); one drop supplies 2000 I.U.s; the average individual requires 4000-6000 I.U.s per day: 2-3 drops per day will supply that. Get your Vitamin D levels tested so that you know where you stand.
c. BioProtect Plus is an anti-oxidant formula that supports many of the organ systems that are challenged; 2 capsules per day during or after meals will keep a healthy status.
Virus Prevention for Kids (40-100 lbs)
1. #1 thru #4 are the same.
2. Supplementation for the Fall and Winter
a. Bio-C Plus 1000 is a very effective product in the form of Vitamin C with additional minerals for an immune enhancing twist. Daily dosage – 1 with meals 3 times per day.
b. Bio-D-Mulsion Forte is an emulsified liquid form of vitamin D3 (the safe non toxic form); one drop supplies 2000 I.U.s; 1-2 drops per day will supply that. Get your Vitamin D levels tested so that you know where you stand.
c. BioProtect Plus is an anti-oxidant formula that supports many of the organ systems that are challenged. 1 capsule per day during or after meals will keep a healthy status for children.
Relief for Adults - So what do you do IF you do come down with the virus? As soon as symptoms are felt:
1. Again, the CDC website has succinct instructions for those who feel like they have been exposed or have already developed symptoms. First, follow those instructions.
2. Without fail, strictly avoid all dairy.
3. Stay hydrated; drink 1 quart of water for every 50 lbs of body weight up to 3 qusrts per day.
4. Follow the age old advice of get plenty of rest, and eat a high quality high protein broth (homemade chicken soup’s claim to fame).
5. Supplementation for a 150 lb person
a. Bio-Immunozyme Forte; 2 with meals 3 times per day.
b. ZnAC – a zinc, vitamin A and vitamin C formula; because more nutrition is needed when sick or ill; 3 tablets 4 times per day between meals
c. Cytozyme THY – to stimulate the immune system; 2 tablets 4 time per day between meals
d. Bio-D-Mulsion Forte; 2-3 drops per day.
e. Ultra Vir-X – a homeopathic formula directly impacting virus replication and immune support; 2-3 capsules 4 times per day between meals
f. Dysbiocide – an anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal formulation of herbs documented as having these properties; 3 capsules 4 times per day between meals.
Relief for Kids
Generally follow the same as outlined for adults but adjust down for size and age.
|For more health advice, watch ASK DR. BAIRD on Facebook!|
|Check out our Wellness Coach, Liz's, columns published on Riverbender!|