- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Monthly Supplement Specials
In health care, the quality of therapeutic substances should be a top concern of every patient. You can buy supplements from a lot of different places, but you can rarely be so assured of the quality of those substances. You also wouldn’t trust a grocery store clerk to know which prescription you should take — why would you trust them to give you advice on which supplements to take?
Wouldn’t it feel better to know you’re taking exactly what a medical doctor would have you take?
Our supplements are researched-backed, high-quality, and are considered medical-grade. Many supplements that we offer are only available through licensed medical practitioners. Our supplement therapy based approach promotes the body’s own healing and health maintenance mechanisms, facilitating recovery and empowering a harmony of happiness and health.
At Main Street Chiropractic we only prescribe the following high quality medical grade supplements so you know your getting the best for your body:
Why take Supplements?
In many ways, supplements are to humans what fertilizer is to plants. Give a plant adequate amounts of sunlight and water, and it will survive. Add some nutrient-rich fertilizer (organic, of course), and the plant will thrive.
For us humans, the same principle applies. A healthful, balanced diet supplies the body with sufficient nutrients to carry out routine tasks. Supplements such as vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, phytochemicals, and more enrich the body's internal environment to fortify cellular protection, repair, and regeneration and support the Renewal process. Natural and herbal supplements can help to restore the body to a place of balance.
Mother Nature's Ulterior Motive
Of course, supplements, at least as we know them, haven't been around all that long. How did our ancestors survive without them? To be painfully blunt, they didn't.
You see, Mother Nature has never cared about optimum health. Nor has she concerned herself with longevity. Her main objective is survival and propagation of the species. So she programmed us humans to survive on even the crummiest diet, nutrition-wise, into our twenties, when we're old enough to reproduce. Beyond that, we're on our own.
This genetic twist is a throwback to primitive times, when supermarkets and refrigerators didn't exist and food was not always plentiful. Those who could stay alive on very slim pickins had a tremendous survival advantage.
Over thousands of years, one generation has passed its "survival genes" on to the next. So thanks to our ancestors, we are equipped to subsist on minuscule amounts of the essential nutrients, just in case a famine comes along. But as I said before, this insurance policy remains effective only into our twenties -- just long enough for us to reproduce. It includes no provision for aging.
By the time we reach our twenties, we have established lifelong eating habits. And because our survival genes have protected us from the adverse effects of our dietary transgressions, we have no reason to believe that what we're eating (or not eating) is doing us any harm. So we continue feeding ourselves nutritionally vacant junk foods, unaware that they're quietly eroding our health. Often we don't see the effects for several decades.
The point here is this: Even with a lousy diet, we can remain fairly healthy through our first 30 to 40 years of life. But if we want to achieve optimum health and maximum life span, the nutritional bare bones just won't cut it. We need to eat nutritious foods, and we need to take supplements.
The Price of Poor Nutrition
Initially, the body hints of a nutrient shortfall with any of a hodgepodge of minor symptoms: fatigue, weakness, insomnia, irritability, nervousness, depression, poor concentration, memory loss, aches and pains, recurrent infections, allergies, circulatory problems, and just not feeling good. These are the vague symptoms that drive patients to doctors, and drive doctors up a diagnostic tree. Because most conventionally trained physicians have little education or experience in nutrition, they're unable to make the connection between a patient's complaints and a nutrient deficiency. Then when the test results come back normal (as they usually do in such cases), the symptoms tend to be dismissed as "all in your head" -- or, even worse, as "a natural part of aging."
If doctors do prescribe treatment, they usually bypass nutritional supplements in favor of drugs such as anti-inflammatories, antidepressants, tranquilizers, and the like. These not only mask symptoms but also deplete nutrient stores even further. This accelerates the degenerative process, which is the forerunner of disease and aging.
Chronic nutrient deficiencies invariably lead to serious health problems. Data collected from large populations show that as the availability of nutrients declines, the frequency of illness increases. Unfortunately, when heart disease, cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, arthritis, or some other serious deficiency-driven condition develops, neither doctor nor patient is likely to realize that the symptoms had begun years before.
Here are the top reasons why it is important for everyone to take natural, whole food supplements:
1. Depleted Soils. Even if you eat a healthy, predominantly plant-based diet with lots of fruit and vegetables, chances are good (unless you’re consuming everything organic) the food comes from soils that have insufficient mineral content. When foods are grown over and over again in the same soils, the mineral content of that soil becomes depleted over time. This is ANOTHER reason why it is so vitally important to consume organic foods as much as possible. Organic farming practices include “crop rotating” so that soil depletion does not occur. Unfortunately, even buying organic doesn’t always mean you’re going to get superior foods. Although organic soil can get depleted, buying organic remains the better, healthier choice for you and the planet!
2. Long Transit Time for Delivery. Have you noticed an increasing amount of produce finding its way to your grocery store comes from other countries? If you think your favorite mango or pineapple (from Hawaii or the Philippines) was just cut at its peak ripeness, then immediately boxed, rushed to the airport and shipped overnight to your favorite grocery store, you’re sadly mistaken. Sometimes, foods are picked weeks and even MONTHS before we see it on our shelves. So much for obtaining the maximum amount of nutrition!
3. Overcooking Our Foods. Americans have a bad habit of cooking our food “to death,” resulting in a massive loss of nutritional value, meaning far fewer vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes to go around. What’s more, eating these depleted foods over time creates its own set of health problems. Cooking does “kill” the food, resulting in lost nutrition. As far as fruits and vegetables, consuming them in as close to a raw (uncooked) state as possible is always the best way.
4. Not Eating Regular Meals. So many people skip meals. Grabbing a bagel or doughnut while slamming down some coffee and rushing to work does NOT constitute a meal. Making up for it later in the day at an “all-you-can-eat” buffet is not in the best interest of our bodies either, as it puts much undue stress on the digestive system and will eventually cause a lot of uncomfortable symptoms.
5. Normal Aging = Digestion Issues. As we age, our bodies produce fewer enzymes, including all the important ones needed to properly digest and assimilate the foods we eat. Eventually, this results in “common” stomach complaints, like reflux, heartburn, upset stomach and chronic constipation.
6. Stress + Stress, + Stress = Compromised Immune System. No question, we all lead busy lives and some of us are busier than others! Between commitments to your family, school, work, community, faith and other obligations, our lives are stressed to the max! All of this stress takes a toll on your body and weakens your immune system. Taking supplements can help to bridge that gap and give your body some of the nutrition it needs to function optimally.
Of course, nothing will take the place of eating a good and healthy diet. But taking quality, whole food-based natural supplements can go along way towards helping you maintain a better level of health.
Sign-up using the form or call us at 618.656.6565 to take advantage of this exclusive offer.
|Monday||8:30 - 12||3 - 6|
|Tuesday||By Appt.||By Appt.|
|Wednesday||8:30 - 12||3 - 6|
|Thursday||Closed||3 - 6|
|Friday||8:30 - 2||Closed|
|8:30 - 12||By Appt.||8:30 - 12||Closed||8:30 - 2||Closed||Closed|
|3 - 6||By Appt.||3 - 6||3 - 6||Closed||Closed||Closed|
Main Street Chiropractic has been and continues to be a major part of my health and wellness. When you walk in, you are welcomed by the wonderful staff. I am always greeted with a smile and a heartfelt hello. Throughout the office, you feel a sense of joy, peace, patience, kindness and goodness. These are some of the fruits of the Spirit found in Galatians 5:22. The reason I say this is because Dr. Baird and his staff are Christians. I know that Dr. Baird and his staff serve with the gifts and talents that they have been blessed with. Healing is physical, mental, emotional and spiritual at Main Street Chiropractic.